Sunday, September 27, 2009

NileGuide Travel Blog Interview with Nancy D. Brown

NileGuide Travel Blog Interview with Nancy D. Brown

Posted by Nancy D. Brown

This week I was interviewed by Nicole Lerner of NileGuide in their series NileGuide 5. Here are the five questions that Nicole asked me from a travel writer, blogger and lodging editor perspective.

St. Nicholas Cathedral, Fribourg1. What’s the most underrated destination you’ve been to?

The Fribourg region in Switzerland For most people, when you say Switzerland, you think Lucerne, Lake Lugano or Zurich. I recently visited the German-speaking Canton (district) of Fribourg and had fabulous cheese fondue in Gruyere, ate my weight in milk chocolate in Broc, toured the Old Town of Fribourg and walked the Vineyard Path through Mount Vully, Switzerland’s smallest vineyards in Lake Murten. The Medieval town of Murten (Morat) is as charming as the villagers who live within its walls.


2. How do you kill time when you’re stuck on a bus or plane?

If there’s WiFi or cell service, I’m a happy camper. Between reading travel blogs and checking on twitter, I can kill an entire day. Of course, I’d prefer to be out there experiencing the destination than stuck on a plane or bus. I wouldn’t want your readers to think I’m a social media geek, but if the shoe fits…

3. What’s the strangest thing you’ve seen or experienced traveling?

I wouldn’t necessarily call it strange, more like magical. My husband and I were backpacking for two months in Europe. We’d been drinking at a beer garden in Heidelberg and as we were walking across the bridge, I spotted an elephant in the distance. At first, I thought I’d had too much beer, so I didn’t say anything to my husband. Then he said, “check out the elephant. He’s leading the circus into town.” Sure enough, the elephant was leading the wagon train. It was absolutely a magical moment.

4. What’s the first thing you do when you arrive at a new destination?

Travel Writer Nancy D. BrownAs a lodging editor, I review two properties a week. My family will tell you that the first thing I do is snap a digital picture of the room. Once the kids have unloaded their luggage, the place looks like a disaster zone. I also write restaurant reviews. I take pictures of the food upon arrival. My husband finds this practice highly annoying.

5. If you could give one tip or piece of advice to travelers, what would it be?

I’m going to quote a tip from my friend Wendy Perrin, Consumer Editor of Conde Nast Traveler: Take a picture of your suitcase and its contents. I recently was separated from my bag for several days and decided to write a post and make a video with Lost Luggage Tips from fellow travel writers and bloggersl

How about you? What's the strangest thing you've seen or experienced traveling? Leave a comment below.


No comments:

Post a Comment