Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Brazilian Wax Exposed

The Brazilian Wax Exposed
The Brazilian wax is gaining widespread popularity in the Puritan founded culture of the USA. Believe it or not, ladies of all ages are going hair-free. And like anything else, not all estheticians are good at delivering a great Brazilian. Let's face it, just because you can wax an eyebrow, doesn't mean you have any business waxing my business. I feel like I've been around the block of Brazilian waxing and I can tell you from personal experience that if you mistakenly get someone who does not specialize in this type of waxing, you will be sorry. There are a lot of misconceptions, questions and a bit of taboo about getting a Brazilian. To dispel the myths and get the facts, I sat down with Brazilian waxing expert and my personal Atlanta-based waxing pro, Andreia owner of Brazilian Wax by Andreia to get all your pressing questions answered.

The Brazilian wax is gaining widespread popularity in the Puritan founded culture of the USA. Believe it or not, ladies of all ages are going hair-free. And like anything else, not all estheticians are good at delivering a great Brazilian. Let’s face it, just because you can wax an eyebrow, doesn’t mean you have any business waxing my business. I feel like I’ve been around the block of Brazilian waxing and I can tell you from personal experience that if you mistakenly get someone who does not specialize in this type of waxing, you will be sorry. There are a lot of misconceptions, questions and a bit of taboo about getting a Brazilian.

Brazilian Bikini

The History of the Brazilian Wax

The oh-so-popular brazilian bikini wax had its beginnings on the beautiful beaches of Rio de Janeiro. It was in Rio where bathing beauties first donned the thong bathing suit, which required a thong-type-waxing to make it wearable. The date of the first brazilian waxing is unknown, but likely occurred in the 1970s or 1980s, in the sultry South American country of…you guessed it…Brazil.

How did this waxing technique arrive in the United States? Research indicates that credit for bringing Brazilian waxing to the U.S. goes to seven, Brazilian-born sisters. Their names are Jocely, Jonice, Joyce, Janea, Jussara, Juracy, and Judsela Padilha, also known as the “J Sisters”.

In 1986, the J Sisters opened a small waxing salon in New York, bringing with them the idea and the techniques to remove much or all of the hair in that region to make it possible to wear today’s thong underwear and thong bikini styles.
Many people use the different waxing style names interchangeably; they accidentally ask for a Brazilian wax when they really want a Hollywood wax, and vice versa.

Now that we know the history of being bare down there, lets get to the good stuff:

Wax by Andreia

To dispel the myths and get the facts, I sat down with Brazilian waxing expert and my personal Atlanta-based waxing pro, Andreia owner of Brazilian Wax by Andreia to get all your pressing questions answered.

Andreia Brazilian by Andreia

Can you explain the concept of Brazilian Wax by Andreia to someone who is unfamiliar with it?

We are Atlanta’s premiere waxing boutique.   No one likes the chore of shaving and tweezing.  I help my clients feel smooth and sexy by removing unwanted hair.  Our authentic Brazilian waxing is fast, affordable and comfortable.  My staff and I  provide a superior waxing experience by delivering extraordinary personal service and exceptional value.

How long does the process of Brazilian waxing take?

We’re fast! In my salon, a Brazilian wax takes less than 15 minutes.

How long does it last?

Often Brazilian wax is performed with wax and strips of cloth. This tends to break the hair instead of actually pulling it out at the root. However, because we use real Brazilian hard wax to pull the hair out by the root, our Brazilian wax last for 3-6 weeks.

What was the inspiration for bringing this service to Atlanta?

In Brazil, swimsuits are very small and hair removal is a way of life.  I started working at my Aunt’s salon when I was 13 and had been waxing for over 10 years before I came to America to visit Atlanta.  After meeting my husband and deciding to stay, I was surprised by many salons I saw that claimed to do Brazilian waxing that could not even POINT to Brazil on a map!  I decided to offer authentic Brazilian Waxing and we now serve thousands of clients a month at our 4 locations.

How is your Authentic Brazilian Waxing service different?

It is not what we leave, it’s what we take away.  Front, back or everything in between, it’s up to you.  We use imported organic hard wax from Brazil that goes on thick, smooth and warm where it enters the follicle, allowing the hair to be pulled out by the root.  Hard wax is much easier on the skin than stripes with sticky waxes, and results in less pain.  Most people are also surprised at how much faster we are able to finish their wax.

[Kim's Note: I've had both types of waxes in the past, the strips with wax and the hard wax that just cools and is peeled off. I can tell you that the hard wax makes all the difference in comfort. Plus, it really does leave you smoother and last longer!]

Are there any side effects? If so, how can they be prevented?

The most important part of Brazilian waxing is to make sure the person performing the service is trained well. In my salon, we’re experts in the Brazilian and it’s not just a side-business like it is in many salons. Every one of my girls is a licensed cosmetologist, however the training in school is often not good enough for my clients. I train all of my girls to perform this type of waxing just like we do in Brazil.

The most common side effect people experience is ingrown hairs. To prevent them, you should exfoliate the area often and refrain from using lotions on the area. In grown hairs can be treat by a topical such as Tenz Skin.

Because of the type of hard wax that I use, side effects are minimal. I can go over the same spot multiple times without causing discomfort or damaging the skin. When wax with cloth strips are used, damage to the skin is greater because your pulling not only the hair, but the skin is being aggressively exfoliated as well.

Who is your typical client?

You would be surprised at the variety of my clientele. We have all types of clients- students, business women, and more men are starting to come.  New clients are always made comfortable. Most are refereed by someone else or come after reading hundreds of online reviews.

To much of her competition’s dismay, Andreia only charges $35 for a Brazilian Wax!  How are you able to charge so much less than other salons?

Places often offer Brazilian waxing as a side product. But with me, it’s is my specialty. And we’re fast. I’ve been called Atlanta’s Queen of Wax because for me as a Brazilian – waxing is not a sideline, it’s my passion!



Source: feedproxy.google.com

No comments:

Post a Comment