Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Should you buy your baby a seat on the plane?

Should you buy your baby a seat on the plane?

This is a question I’ve considered many times. Should you purchase a plane ticket for your child? If your child is under 2, you are not required to purchase a ticket for your little one. But is it worth the savings?

Here are some things to consider:

- How old is your child? If [...]

This is a question I’ve considered many times. Should you purchase a plane ticket for your child? If your child is under 2, you are not required to purchase a ticket for your little one. But is it worth the savings?

Here are some things to consider:

- How old is your child? If you have a really young baby, they may sleep in your arms and it may not be necessary for you to purchase a ticket for them.  I wouldn’t even consider not buying a ticket for my near 2 yo.  She would be all over me AND the person next to me, wanting to walk the aisles.

- How long is the flight? I held my 3mo boy in my lap the short flight to Vegas. Although it a somewhat short flight, it did not seem short by the time it was over. My arms ached and I was wishing I had the extra room that another seat would have provided. Anything over the 2 hours I spent on that flight, I would recommend anyone buy the extra seat.

- Are there more siblings or another parent traveling with you? If you have more children with you, they are smaller and do not take up as much room. So, for example you could feel like the space may be sufficient for 3 children with 2 seats. When two of them are playing close together, the other will have more room to him/herself.  If you are traveling alone with children, you most definitely will want the extra space another seat provides.

I can tell you this. Flight attendants and ticket agents automatically assume you haven’t purchased a ticket for your child under 2. I have many times been questioned for ordering my even 3yo a snack box (when they came with the price of your fare). I guess they assume it’s the norm not to purchase one. I’ve had gate agents stop me with the car seat, thinking I hadn’t bought another fare and telling me I couldn’t use it because there was it was a full flight.

So you may have to remind people that indeed you do have another ticket for your little one, should you decide to go that route. I would say most of the time it is worth it to have the extra space and safety if you can swing it.

Another option is to book a flight that is not very full (a rarity these days) and then hope there is an extra seat when you check in. If so, you can ask to sit near that open seat and if not, you can check your car seat.

What have you done in the past that has worked?  Not worked?  Airplane travel is difficult most of the time anyhow, so I would prefer to make it as painless as possible (or at least plan for it).


Source: feedproxy.google.com

No comments:

Post a Comment