Sunday, March 21, 2010

Weekend Snapshots ~ 3: Dartford

Weekend Snapshots ~ 3: Dartford

Dartford Library

I went to the Dartford Library yesterday morning to attend the monthly meeting of the West Kent Book Club.  It was so nice to sit down and chat with a group of likeminded book lovers and I will certainly be a regular at the meetings.  This month’s book is Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro which I’m quite excited about as I recently read his excellent book When We Were Orphans and I really enjoyed it.

Dartford War Memorial

Like many towns in England, Dartford’s high street area has seen better days and there is a lot of degradation in the area.  Despite that, Dartford has some really beautiful and historic areas too and naturally, I choose to photograph and focus on those.

Dartford Central Park

Dartford has a huge park called “Central Park” which appeals to the New York-obsessed Emm and I cannot wait to explore here in the summer.  The gardens are really well kept and I appreciate the effort taken by Dartford Council.


You may have noticed the slightly less frequent posts on Emm in London.  There are a couple of very good reasons for this which I thought I’d share:

  • Friends: we were very happy to discover that our sister-in-law’s cousin is also staying in Dartford and we saw them last weekend.  This weekend, we visited my friends Gyda and Kenneth whose wedding we attended in South Africa last year.  Now that we live in Dartford, they are just up the M25 in Harpenden and it is much easier to pop over to see them.
  • Outings: I’ve made a promise to stop being such a recluse and to start going out to see actual real live human beings.  So last week it was the photography course and this week it was the book club.
  • Family: I’m going up to see my dad and step-mum in Liverpool this weekend and of course, I see a lot of my brother and mum now that they no longer live with us.  The trip to Liverpool is unfortunately not going to be an occasion for the Eternal Tourist as my aunty is very sick and we’re going to spend time with her.
  • Work:  year end was crazy this year but it did work out easier than the previous two year ends and thankfully, it is all over.
  • Health: I got the weirdest flu last week!  I didn’t have a head cold but I had an incredible fever and was hot and cold for two days.  Luckily I got over it but this weekend I had a sore throat and I slept most of today.  This year is a million times better than last year as I am far more healthy and I don’t have winter blues.  Nevertheless, I have learned to listen to my body and I have heeded the signs to rest and not blog this weekend!
  • BlogCritics: having said that, I was accepted as a contributor on the BlogCritics team and so I have been whipping up some articles to earn my place there! 

All of these factors have resulted in slightly less time for Emm in London but I do hope to get back up to three posts a week soon.  Have a good week everyone!



Source: feedproxy.google.com

No comments:

Post a Comment