Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Best Travel News and Deals - February 2, 2010 - 10 Most Asked Travel Questions, Cheaper RTW Tickets, Beat Jet Lag By Not Eating, Learn a New Language

Best Travel News and Deals - February 2, 2010 - 10 Most Asked Travel Questions, Cheaper RTW Tickets, Beat Jet Lag By Not Eating, Learn a New Language

Travel news and deals of interest to YOU from around the Web compiled and edited by NoDebtWorldTravel.com:

If you know any great travel stories or tips we all should read, please send it to me and I will put an acknowledgment of your contribution in the posting.



10 Ways To Get A Cheaper Airline Ticket for Round the World Travel

These rules are referring to round the world trips and long term travel from the folks at Airtreks, which is where I purchased my RTW ticket.



Five Foods to Avoid Before Flying

What caught my eye was the study that showed that not eating before a flight may lessen the effects of jet lag. Now going without food for 16 hours to lessen the effects of jet lag may not be an option for you. I know it would NOT be an option for me. I'll be the grumpy one on the flight they take off the plane in handcuffs because my blood sugar is low and I start acting up.



Pack Light and Travel Happy

I'm a big advocate of packing light to save time and money. With all the luggage fees coming from cash strapped airlines, get ONE carry-on and make that work.



Travel Video of the Week
Sunrise is revered all around the world and to see it in different locations on the planet would be an exhilarating experience. You've got to do it at least once, even if you're at home in your robe and slippers.




Gaming the Luggage System

Getting around the checked luggage and carry-on rules by checking at the gate before you board, not at the curb or check-in.

I know that I like to be at the head of the line at the boarding gate just to make sure I can get my carry-on in the overhead bin above or near my seat. You hate to be the person who has to put your stuff all the way back in Row 24 when you're in Row 9. You've got to wait until everyone gets off the plane or worse risk your stuff being stolen.



The Web Way to Learn a Language

Some reviews of paid and free methods of learning a new language. Of course the best way to learn a language is by total immersion. But most of us don't have the time or the inclination to do that. You're going to Tokyo or Buenos Aires or Marrakesh and want to be able to interact with people, order food and find your way back to your hotel or hostel.

I recently ordered the Berlitz Earworms Japanese Volume 1. These language lessons are set to music which is suppose to aid the retention of the words. Makes sense considering I can remember the words to songs from 20 years ago but can't remember what I had for lunch 3 days ago. I'll post a review after I've worked with it for a while.



10 questions most frequently asked by travelers

Some people don't know that you now need a passport to head to Canada or the Caribbean. Or that bereavement fares are pretty much non-existent nowadays. Some things you may know and probably one thing on this list you didn't know...or thought you knew.

Speaking of passports, many countries do not allow entry if your passport will expire within 6 months of your visit. I've got to get mine renewed. Hard to believe 10 years have passed since I first got it.



Travel Site Kayak Sells Seats On Lost’s Oceanic Flight 815

In some fun for 'Lost' fans, Kayak was selling flights on the ill-fated Oceanic Flight 815.

Go to Kayak and search for a one-way flight from Sydney, Australia to LAX for September 22, 2010.

I'm not a big 'Lost' watcher, but I understand that the numbers in the Kayak Oceanic entry relate directly to the show. Have fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment