Monday, January 25, 2010

Sicilia Through Images

Sicilia Through Images
This month's Guest Photographer is Heather Jacks 

I met Heather recently when I came across Sicilia Through Images.  Since then, we have become friends and I am a regular visitor her photoblog which is also listed in our Italian Photoroll. 

Heather says: "I am an American photographer currently living on the beautiful island of Sicily. I hope to share my artistic endeavors, and a sampling of this exotic place through my photographs."

The Questions and Answers:

1.When did you start getting interested in photography?

I have been interested in Photography since childhood.  My father had a manual cannon, and was always experimenting with different lenses, and lighting.  I suppose my interest stems from those days.  In college I had my first darkroom class, and I was hooked.  Many a night, I would stay up late and tape off the doorway to my small bathroom to turn it into a makeshift darkroom.  I eventually made the switch to digital, when digital cameras became advanced enough to match or exceed the image quality of film.  I taught myself Photoshop, and have enjoyed the creativity and freedom it allows.  I consider myself a photographic artist, as I often add textures and tones to my photographs.
 

2. What in your opinion are the ingredients of a good photograph?

First and foremost for me, is composition.  If you don’t compose the image in an interesting way, it will not be an effective photo.  All of the technical knowledge in the world won’t help you if you do not have an eye for composition.  The simplest of subjects can be beautiful if presented in an interesting way through composition and light.  A close second would be lighting.   I love late afternoon light, and the dramatic shadows that it provides.

3. What is your favourite photograph that you’ve shot to date?

I have many favorites.  But, my favorite image since moving to Italy would probably be the infrared of the olive trees, “Olive Trees at Valle dei Templi”.

4. What do you hope to convey to others via your photography?

I hope to represent a scene in an artistic manner and to convey some sense of the emotions I felt when I was there.  My photographs are ultimately an expression of the way I view the world.  I have always been acutely conscious of light, shadow, and the beauty of my surroundings.  The Shadows produced by the late day sun, along with simple objects and textures, inspire my photographs.  Whether a moody landscape, or a window side still life, I try to impart a sense of timelessness to my work.  I hope to take the viewer on a visual journey.  The use of selective focus via a plastic lens, or the addition of textures and tones to my photographs is an integral part of the creative process for me.  These additions allow me to complete my vision for a particular image, and hopefully make the viewer feel something as well.

5. Do you look at the World wondering how it would look as a photograph?

I most definitely view the world through my camera lens.  I am forever searching, thinking about, waiting and watching for the perfect shot.


Drop by Heather's photoblog. Heather's work can be found on sale at her website. She’s got a fantastic photographic collection.
Source: casadolcetto.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment